Friday, May 13, 2011

day 1

i didn’t have a bowl this morning so i ate my oatmeal in one of the hotel’s plastic cups - surely cancer causing. the large chunks in my mom’s organic peanut butter made it nearly impossible to stir it in evenly, or at all really, so i gave up and just started eating it with a spoon. typical leah.
my bag ended up weighing in at 42 lbs. I guess that isn’t too bad but I couldn’t help but feel a little worried about those extra eight pounds for the flight back. Gotta remember to be careful with what I buy.









 Nashville to Detroit: 1 hr 41 min







Detroit to Amsterdam: 7 hr 55 min

Our plane left at 8:30 for detroit where ted wylie stated we would have a 5 hour layover before we had to leave for Amsterdam (so we would have time to eat). One girl commented “that’s going to be one hell of a meal then.”
water - $2.35
veggie quesadilla - $8.47
okay that is entirely too much money spent for bread with some cheese on it. my stomach’s time was better spent on this mofo:

that’s right, 32 grams of protein. BADABOOM

oh, and the detroit airport records bird sounds and plays them over the loud speakers. one of them honest to goodness sounded like a child crying out as if it was being beaten to death.

First impressions of Amsterdam, and only saying this because michelle asked me and Christina took the effort to write down my first words after landing: “this place is green and rainy.” There you go.
When we got there I made the mistake of throwing away my previous boarding pass. Thankfully, I had taken pictures of mine (as you saw) so I was able to narrowly avoid losing my luggage. Never throwing anything away. Ever again.

But just in case:




lookin’ disheveled after around 16 hours of travel









edit:
WE'RE FINALLY AT THE HOTEL. the bus ride was actually 4 hours, so all that 2 hour jazz was a big lie. thankfully though our bus driver Jiri (meaning george and pronounced like year-gee) made it worth while, as he's possibly the sweetest slightly hunch-backed man on the planet. it was hilarious to hear reactions one by one as everyone realized the chocolate balls he gave us before getting on the bus were filled with vodka. welcome to prague, everyone!
mary lyn mentioned that in the future i should pay attention to Jiri's pronunciation of words versus their actual spelling: "lets just say a town's name is Leah, but you look how it's spelled and it's like BQRISF and you sit there like.....seriously....?"

1 comment: